How to register as unemployed

As well as supporting those looking for work, TCHC also offer: training for those in work (SSW); support for those facing redundancy (SSR); support for young people not in employment, education or training (NEET); Maths, English, IT, Social Media, Accounting (AAT), Management (ILM) training; and Apprenticeships.

In the UK you have to register as unemployed with Jobcentre Plus. When becoming unemployed there are various benefits which you may be eligible for, but it will depend on your individual circumstances. For more information about benefits and its eligibility criteria visit the Jobcentre Plus benefits page.

To register for Job Seekers Allowance you have two options;

  1. Register online (recommended) or
  2. Register by phone

To register for jobseekers allowance please visit the Jobcentre website via this link:

Once registered you will have to attend an interview with a Jobcentre Plus adviser, where they will discuss your support options with you.

Why register as unemployed?

It is important to register as an unemployed person and to inform HM Revenue & Customs that you are out of work as it ensures that your National Insurance Contribution will be paid and your state pension won’t be affected. In addition, when registered, you may be eligible for some benefits and training schemes designed to help you find a new job.

Is there support to help me find a new job?

TCHC works with the Jobcentre Plus to assist jobseekers and those affected by redundancy in the East of England (Norfolk, Suffolk, Essex, Cambridgeshire, Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire). Through our Skills Support for the Unemployed programme we offer advice, assistance and training to help you find a new job as quickly as possible. We also offer business start-up courses for those considering self employment. If you live outside these areas, please ask your Jobcentre adviser about the programmes in your area.

For further information about our Skills Support for the Unemployed or Skills Support for Redundancy programmes please complete the form below or ring 01923 698 430 to arrange a one-to-one meeting with one of our Personal Advisers who will help you get started.

Please be aware that we can only assist clients who live in Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk who are already claiming benefits or who are at risk of redundancy. If you fall in these groups please use the contact form below if you'd like us to get in touch regarding further advice and training support.

To register for Jobseekers Allowance, please contact Jobcentre Plus

Contact us - SSR